03 October 2010

Ever feel like there isn't enough time in a day? I've been having this feeling in buckets lately (or maybe swimming pools are a more adequate size comparison). It brings to mind the closing chant at Centre of Gravity...

Life and death are of supreme importance
Time passes swiftly and opportunity is lost
Let us awaken, AWAKEN
Do not squander your life

*insert pause, pondering and a big breath here* What constitutes squandering your life? ...huh. Do you find yourself spending time on activities or people that do not bring freedom or happiness into your life or the lives of others?

I recently resigned from my full-time job. A job that was reasonably enjoyable alongside good and hardworking people. It wasn't that the job was bad, simply that it took up so much time. Time that didn't allow for as much practice, study, teaching, relationship... nourishment. And now I find myself sitting on my meditation cushion watching thoughts of finances, fear, planning, and unanswered (or perhaps unanswerable) questions flutter through awareness. So here are a few questions for you...

Would you rather be doing something else?
What do you do that nourishes you?
Are you serving those around you?
How does time weigh in against money?
What is important to you and how does that compare to how you spend your time?

1 comment:

Ela said...

hi there! Came across your blog by chance...in fact by google alert on mindfulness and meditation..I've just read this post and like it! or it just sounded familiar with my experience at this time. I was restructured from my job 6 months ago...a v v happy event considering that it was a v demanding corporate job and i was v stressed out. I had a beautiful summer and felt so free after years and years of crazy work in business...I traveled a lot and learnt to meditate during a retreat training. But now I have to do something and have o brilliant idea...
I'm Ela, I'm from Romania, but I live in Switzerland since a couple of years.
Ela