17 November 2010

I would consider myself part of an "Internet Generation". Computer savvy folks that acquire all of their information, music, television, and do much of their communicating via the internet. There was even a time where calling myself a pirate (arrr!) made me feel just a little bit punk-rock and bad ass.

These days, I'm participating in a six-month Precepts Course offered by Centre of Gravity. The question of non-harm and non-stealing (not taking that which is not freely offered) has given rise to contemplation around how I acquire information, software, music, and television.

There are, of course, arguments of the anti-capitalist / anti-corporatist nature, which explain that not every single thing (media, natural resources, property, etc.) should be for sale. Many people advocate the internet as a place for open source sharing. That said, in applying honesty both internally and externally, part of this pirating internet culture involves stealing.

In dedicating oneself to a core of ethics, one commits to giving up a few things. And really, if we're not willing to pay for it, do we really need it? Following the anti-capitalist frame of mind, instead of stealing should we not instead curb our consumption?

Practice is called 'practice' for a reason. Part of committing to the precepts is acknowledging the many ways that we fail, without needing to be punished or feeling guilty. And so I set out to take actions that cause the least harm, both to those around me and to myself, knowing that there will be stumbles along the way (wish me luck!).

(As an aside, television programming can often be watched for FREE ---that's right, freely given--- on the tv channels' websites. Movies can be rented or purchased on iTunes. Music can be purchased or Youtube that shiznit. And books can be found at your local library!)

No comments: