29 November 2010

Recently, my facebook news feed has been flooded with updates and news surrounding the rights of the LGBT community. The UN General Assembly voted to remove sexual orientation from their resolution that protects people from arbitrary execution. An iPhone app was recently approved (and then recalled), which targeted against gay marriage. Concerns around bullying in both Canadian and US schools, as well as recent LGBT youth suicides, have prompted a viral internet campaign called "It Gets Better".

Not only popping up on the internet, television programming and movies have chosen to address the topic of gay rights. In episode after episode of "Glee", Kurt gets bullied by Karofsky with little consequence. The movie "The Easy A" (which I otherwise enjoyed) portrayed a teenager faking hetero sex to avoid violence from his peers. Even "America's Next Top Model" had an episode around bullying, with a contestant writing the word queer all over her body. It's great that homosexuality is showing up in mainstream entertainment, but what exactly are we trying to say here?

When you visit the It Gets Better Project website, their header says:

Many LGBT youth can't picture what their lives might be like as openly gay adults. They can't imagine a future for themselves. So let's show them what our lives are like, let's show them what the future may hold in store for them.

Many of these videos have brought me to tears, and I LOVE the idea of supporting LGBT youth around the world with a message of hope and inspiration. Yet, I'm left with an uncomfortable feeling around what we're communicating to our community. Why does it have to get better later? Why can't it be good right now?

Now I'm not trying to be unrealistic. I realize that the world is still not entirely comfortable with non-hetero orientations. Just the other day, my partner and I were called "stinky lesbians" by a man biking through Kensington Market. Nonetheless, a part of me hopes for a dialogue that can break down intolerance and create a space for acceptance. I feel like we have the smarts, the resources, and the experience to begin a conversation around how to make our school environments (workplaces, etc) safe spaces for everybody.

And.... (drum roll please) ...apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this!

No comments: